Thursday, August 16, 2012

Fall/Halloween 2011-2012

I love fall at school! Our school celebrates Halloween and all the kiddos get to wear their costumes on a special day before the holiday. We spend the month getting ready with poems and stories. I love it! This poem is traditional and widely used. I die-cut tiny pumpkins (5 for each child) and circles for the moon. I made a pattern on half a white sheet of paper so the kids cut out black rectangles (the negative space) and the result was a white fence. I put out glitter for the moons and printed poems. It was a fun craft!
Here is the poem:
"Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate,
The first one said, 'Oh my, it's getting late!'
The second one said, 'There are witches in the air.'
The third one said, 'But we don't care!'
The fourth one said, 'Let's run! Let's run!'
The fifth one said, 'Isn't Halloween fun?'
Then whoooooooooosh went the wind,
And OUT went the lights.
And five little pumpkins rolled out of sight."

Another project we did was sponge painting yellow and orange onto a candy corn shape. See it on the lockers:
I'm sure I'll do some of the same projects this year! The children had so much fun with the pumpkin poem. It remained a favorite throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions or thoughts? I'd love to hear from you!