Sunday, October 28, 2012

Daily 5 - Alphabags

 There are so many awesome ways to utilize Daily 5 literacy instruction, by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser: http://www.the2sisters.com/the_daily_5.html. Daily 5 results are fantastic! But I found that I had so many different things to manage, so I had to problem solve the organization of this great program.
I created these Alphabags which are labeled with each student's number. In each bag is their Work-on-Writing Journal, their Write-the-Room book, and Word Work alphabet book. I also have them keep their phonics chart in the bag. This is a great storage solution for my classroom! I used removable plastic hooks: http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NACommand/Command/Products/Catalog/  and taught the procedure for how to hang-up and take down the alphabags through Interactive Modeling, by Responsive Classroom.
I still have the children use their own individual book bins, but that bin is specifically for Read-to-Self and Read-to-Someone.
This has really been working well this year. The children enjoy the handling of the materials and take pride in doing it well. They love making choices in their own literacy education and I enjoy the easy management of Daily 5 time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions or thoughts? I'd love to hear from you!